High Speed is good for growth, capacity and connectivity. It will close the north-south divide, promote green jobs and cut carbon emissions by reducing the need for domestic flights.
Labour should support the development of High Speed Two and wish to see Labour re-commit itself to the project as part of the policy review. It is wrong the Tory-led government only plan to legislate for a small part of the potential route and wish to see them amend the legislation to enable the full potential of Lord Adonis’ planned high-speed network.
Progress with the support of SERA and others, are campaigning for Labour to commit to the future of high-speed rail, and call on the Tory-led government to amend their current legislation (only allowing high-speed rail to Birmingham) so the whole country can reap the benefits of the high-speed network.
Sign the petition now:
Campaign update: An early success
We initially called on the Labour frontbench to reaffirm its commitment to HS2, and gained an early success when shadow transport secretary, Maria Eagle MP, this week said:
A national high speed network has the potential to bring our major cities closer together, boosting investment and economic growth in the north of England. That’s why it was Labour that set out plans for a high speed line from London to Birmingham but importantly also on to Leeds and Manchester.
The Tory-led government is only planning to take powers to construct the line as far as Birmingham which casts real doubt on their long term commitment to delivering high speed rail in the north. They should think again and ensure the whole route is included in the forthcoming legislation.
Taking on the Tories
We are now calling on the government to amend the legislation to enable the full potential of Lord Adonis’ planned high-speed network from London to the Midlands, the north and Scotland.
This campaign will continue over the progression of the hybrid bill that Parliament is due to consider. We will be seeking to amend the bill and bring this growth plan beyond Birmingham and serve the nation as a whole. Sign the petition now:
Promote the campaign:
- Send the following tweet to support the campaign:
#ISupport the @Progressonline #Lab4HS2 campaign – sign the petition now: http://bit.ly/hPPFhQ #Going4Growth
- Use #Lab4HS2 when promoting the campaign on twitter
- Download a petition to circulate at a local meeting, workplaceor social venue < download here
- Pass a motion at your local branch or CLP meeting < download here
Labour 4 High Speed 2 Campaign motion
This CLP believes:
- High Speed Two announced under Labour was a bold, progressive step to a greener, more cohesive and connected Britain and crucial to getting the UK economy growing again.
- HS2 is best placed to lead a revolution in green jobs and cuts carbon emissions by reducing the need for domestic flights.
- The benefits of HS2 go beyond speed and carbon reduction and include the connectivity and capacity currently denied by the Victorian infrastructure of the current network.
- It is wrong that the Tory-led government only plan to legislate for a small part of the potential route and we wish to see them amend the legislation to enable the full potential of Lord Adonis’ planned high-speed network from London to the Midlands, the north and Scotland.
This CLP resolves:
- To support the Labour 4 High Speed 2 campaign, which urges Labour to recommit to High Speed Two in our policy review.
- To circulate the petition around CLP members encouraging them to show their support for HS2.
- To contact the campaign organisers and provide a quote for their campaign site from the appropriate CLP officer.
- To send the motion into the Partnership in Power process and circulate to your regional National Policy Forum reps.
- To campaign for the high-speed rail bill to be amended to extend the scheme beyond Birmingham.
Thanks for your support.